Followers

Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Christmas Brigades - Basing

The obvious next stage is to base the troops.


I mark out 20mm squares on a sheet of plastic trying to make them as accurate as possible and also square. This will help ranking the figures up later.

Make enough bases for all the figures you have painted and the next batch and the next batch. A lot of time can be saved by preparing lots of bases in one go. You can also discard any 'duds' where your accuracy has let you down.


The painted troops with their gloss varnish completely dry can be removed from their painting sticks. Try and and keep the little blobs of Blue-Tac separate as you will be re-using them for the next batch of troops.


Using a contact adhesive glue the figures to their bases bearing in mind that the troops have to rank up neatly and any protuding parts have to avoid the adjacent figures. One thing which not obvious on these pictures is that the base of the drummer figure is exceeds 20mm in depth so I fix that by filing the base down to 19mm before I paint them. This will matter less if you are using deeper bases.


Finally I add a layer of self adhesive magnetic tape underneath the base as I use magnetic movement trays for my ACW troops. Try and keep the magnetic pole oriented the same way on each figure as sometimes the like poles can push figures apart.

7 comments:

  1. The advance continues well Jimm. You have got this up and running at great speed-well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan

      I don't feel as I've hurried any of these along. In fact I think I am being a bit slow as I'm still 'under-the-weather'.

      I still have another 6 Regiments to do!

      Jim

      Delete
  2. Hi Jim, I'm really enjoying your blog. Particularly the recent Christmas Brigades series of photos and the Wargames Hut - well done. As I commented over on Alan's page, I was wondering if you have a scan of your 1976 original Middle Earth rules you'd be willing to share?

    kind regards from the frozen plains of the midwest,
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Owlorbs (what a name!)

      I'm pleased that you are enjoying my blog, I give myself a pat on the back everytime someone say so.

      I think I would have a copy of the Middle Earth rules on my old computer which is out in the Wargames Hut. I'll see if I can find it for you.

      How frozen are the frozen plains of the midwest just now. I drove across them two years ago and they were baking hot then!

      Jim

      Delete
    2. Private email with rules attached has been sent.

      Good luck with them.

      Jim

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was fast work! They look excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another six Regiments to whizz through then!

      Delete