Followers

Sunday 1 March 2015

Baccus 6mm ACW - Army of the Potomac

I have just about finished the Union component of the Baccus 6mm ACW Boxed Set.

Not bad going for 4 weeks work including a good few distractions.

These will be my Army of the Potomac.


There are 10 artillery bases.


12 bases of infantry, two of them Zouaves.


2 cavalry bases with mounted, dismounted and empty horses.


6 command bases


All the bases are setup for Polemos, 60 x 30 for infantry and cavalry, 30 x 30 for artillery and commanders. I have left room for magnetic labels at the rear of the base.




Since I want to use these figures with other rulesets I have used 20 x 20 sub-bases which magnetically attach to the 60 x 30 base which is topped with steel paper. For example, Longstreet will need as many as ten 20 x 20 sub-bases for each Regiment and a starter Brigade will have three of them so I will need to get a few more infantry.


Attaching them is a doddle.







The painting of 6mm figures is not particularly demanding. I am a month away from being an old age pensioner and I coped with these OK. An 'impressionist' style is acceptable, certainly at tabletop level. I know that better hands and eyes can do more than I have.


So there you are, my Army of the Potomac (actually about 2 brigades but it's a start).

Just a few Johnny Rebs to do now although I expect they will take a little bit longer as they have less regular uniforms.

What do you guys and gals think?

24 comments:

  1. I think they look great. I am currently putting together two armies of 6mm paper minis for Polemos ACW. They came from Paper Terrain.com.

    How do you like the Polemos rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read through the rules so far and not played them. They might be a bit 'fiddly'.

      I'll report more in due course.

      Delete
  2. Those look excellent Jim. Great idea with the basing - have you considered getting cut steel bases instead of MDF topped with steel paper? It would make the overall base slightly slimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin

      I used the MDF bases as they are supplied in the Baccus pack and I also had steel paper in stock (I use it a lot).

      I quite often scratch build all my bases from a variety of plasticard and so on as I tend to use custom sizes.

      I have no experience with steel bases at all.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant setup! 6mm is a great way to do ACW I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off (many moons ago) with Airfix 1/72, gradually moved to 15mm when they became fashionable, then 28mm as the Perries came to life, up to 30mm for my 'Old School' revival, ditched the 15s and then the 28s, thought about 10mm but finally settled on 6mm.

      Delete
  4. Jim,

    I think that you can be very proud of what you have achieved, and the method you have used with the bases is simple, elegant, and very effective. I particularly like the green steel paper ... and may well buy some myself!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob (hope your cold gets better soon)

      I use steel paper a lot.

      I get mine from Trevor Holland at:

      http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I thought I would jump on the Berry Bandwagon, been an interesting ride so far.

      Delete
  6. They look great! I like your labelling, too, and the versatility with the separate pieces (both the labels and the smaller stands on the bases).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worth an experiment on two armies and game level.

      Delete
  7. very nice, I like my figures a little bit bigger! but they look amazing. I take my hat off to you very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done ACW in 30mm, 28mm, 25mm, 1/72 and 15mm so I thought I might as well try 6mm too!

      Delete
  8. I've looked at the 6mm baccus stuff but I really don't think I could cope with anything that small. The cost is attractive but I think my eyes would bleed trying to paint figures smaller than the hands on my Dixon ACW figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is to not paint too much.

      I am black undercoating, drybrush the main coat colour all over, paint the trousers, hair, face, musket, hat, hands and crossbelts.

      I don't paint facings, buttons, musket bands or anything else small.

      Delete
  9. Thats really is a very clever basing system. Very neat and flexible.

    Love the army - what a great massed effect you have achieved. I am adjusting to painting 6mm figs from larger scales at the moment with my ECW project. I hope it comes out as nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am just finishing off the Confederates so watch out for another blog post soon.

      Delete
  10. Nice work, I have WSS, ECW, Napoleonics, FPW and Ancients from Baccus all awaiting paint. Tempted to fling a few of the ancients on 15mm DBx bases and take them to the next local DBA comp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole new ballgame around the Baccus sculpts.

      However I might sell these figures at Claymore or I may buy some more.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jim,
    Very interesting basing system. I am looking for some thing like that for a new Baccus project.
    https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-pacific-war.html
    Thanks for that and bravo for painting !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete